Tuesday, May 15, 2007

the long walk home

Several times a year, mostly during the summer, i like to walk home from work. The first time i do it always seems to mark the beginning of a season. Yesterday, Monday, was my first walk home. I came with my backpack to work Monday morning. it's more than a five mile walk so it's not something i do spontaneously. I like to make sure i have my "good" gym shoes to wear and a change of clothes if i think it's necessary. yesterday it was necessary. By 5:00 the temperature was 90 degrees and slightly humid. Normally i don't like to walk when it's so warm but since i was prepared i stuck with my plans. It was a warm walk home but did it in approximately 100 miutes. not too bad. the traffic and the lights walking up Michigan Avenue, often affect my walking time but yesterday wasn't too bad. I like to follow the 151 bus route. It goes up Michigan Avenue, and cuts over along the west side of Lincoln Park zoo. It's a nice route. There are open areas, shaded areas, windy spots, and calm spots, there are benches if i need a rest, and water fountains in case i need to fill my water bottle. Also it's nice if i get too hot and want to hop the bus or if i'm caught in a sudden down pour, there's a shelter usually not too far away either. I have walked along the lake front a time or too but it's often more crowded and not as easy to get out of the sun if it gets too hot. It is a fun route if you want to people watch, dunk your feet in the water or stop at one of the beach restaurants.
The walking season has begun. Get out and enjoy it. I know i will.

No comments: